Making Mrs Harris
So as everyone knows now, I got married this past weekend, 8/7. And for one of the first times in my life I kept it mostly a secret, we decided to have a surprise wedding and tell most of our guest that it was an engagement party. For shock value maybe? Nah, I just thought it would be cute and baby loved the idea. It started off way larger than it ended up, but with the pandemic, life shit happening and some people just not showing up it went from almost 100, to under 40. So let me tell you how the day went, or the days leading up to the day…
First of all the location of everything changed last minute because the number of guest didn’t match the venue or the cost. After looking at a million different last minute locations we decided to have it at home and let it be very intimate. That actually turned out amazing and cut a lot of cost (like by about $8K). But nothing went as planned and that kind of made me sad but I forgot that we are having an actual large reception that I have a year to plan and prepare for.
What didn’t go right?
- The ballon pump that I ordered didn’t come until the day after the wedding so we didn’t have an arch.
- The rose gold tiara I ordered didn’t come until the day after the wedding so I used some earrings my sister ordered that were too big for a human ear as a head band.
- We didn’t have time for our flower girls to do the flowers.
- Everything we planned was LATE.
- I forgot to order a new wig in time.
- We missed the sunset because the ceremony started late.
- We forgot to do our toast.
- My dress was the wrong size (but its ok, I own a sewing machine and replaced the zipper with a corset).
- All the other venues we wanted were booked.
- Peoples flights got canceled and delayed.
- We didn’t book a photographer … but we are just going to take some photos of our own since we both are photographers.
Overall, it was still the best day of my life and more chill and rewarded that my panicked control freak nature allowed me to see until after everything was over and done. I got to marry my best friend, my lover, my partner, my heart. This proved to me that perfection is relative what we thought were disasters turned out to be exactly what we needed in those moments.
Now it’s time for me to start preparing for this reception that is happening on 7/11/22 … now this will be extravagant, modern and extra as fuck. I will be sharing my progress here, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and TikTok. #makingmrsharris